photo 139976559510130.jpg

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Cut and Run

We are the proud owners of a large gilt and four little piggies, two males and two females. The gilt is a red waddle and chester white cross. The piglets are a cross between red waddle and large black or as I call them the mudflap pigs.
 The piglets came to us uncut. I am not going to go into a lot of detail here other than to say that they came with all their baby making parts in place. Being uncut poses a problem with the males because if you want to butcher them they will take on a gamey flavor if they are uncut.
This was not a process I or Hairy Man was looking forward too. I had already decided that I was not going to be directly involved in the process but like a good little wife I would procure all the supplies and organize the operation.
I had heard through the grapevine, the local feed store ole timers, that I needed the "purple wound spray." The spray would help the bleeding to stop and calm the little pigs down after the deed was done. Apparently the purple spray was magic.
Off I went to a livestock supply store in a nearby town to get some of this magic spray. I was looking around all the shelving determined I was not going to ask for help. After about five minutes I gave in. Little Guy, my youngest son was with me and the livestock store is like the county fair to him. He runs from shelf to shelf yelling, "Look at this mom!" My brain was quickly fried and it was time to woman up and get some help.
After explaining to the gentleman running the counter what I was after and watching him blush and feeling like I need to crawl under a rock he pointed me in the right direction and wished me luck. Mission accomplished for me.
 The cut day soon arrived. We planned it for a weekend when my in laws were planning on coming out because apparently Hairy Man wanted company for this chore. As soon as they arrived off Hairy Man and my father in law went down to the pig pen with Missy and Bubby in toe.
They managed to get one of the male piglets separated from the over protective gilt. He started to scream his head off just being held in true piglet fashion. That was about the time my mother in law and I decided it was a tad to hot out and to high tail it to the kitchen for some sweet tea.
About twenty minutes later in came Hairy Man, my father in law and my two eldest right behind. Missy looked on the verge of tears, Hairy Man was white as a sheet and Bubby was quiet as usual. I got them sat down with some tea and gave my girl a hug.
Hairy Man then proceeded to tell us that he was only doing that once, next time he's paying someone to do that, and that was just rough work. Missy went on about how the piglets would never like her again and a bunch of rambling about how she was going to become a vegetarian. As my father in law proceeded to reaffirm to them both about how it needed to be done, Bubby finally spoke up.
"What's for lunch?" He asked. We might make a farm boy of him yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment